Saturday, May 28, 2016

Testing the Opportunity Hypothesis, Part 1

Hypothesis:

Any individual or business could benefit from using a resourceful and efficient system to conserve water, minimize utility expenses, and efficiently utilize runoff water in an effort to minimize the impacts of drought, climate change, water use restrictions, and rising costs of water usage.
  • The Who:  Any individual or business that could benefit from having an external reservoir of free water
  • The What:  To find a resourceful and cost-effective way to conserve water, minimize utility expenses, and efficiently utilize runoff water
  • The Why:  People face many challenges searching for a more efficient way to manage water usage, including drought, climate change, water use restrictions, and rising costs of water usage




Testing the Who:  After conducting the interviews, it was apparent that regardless of people’s age, background, economic status, or lifestyle, each of the individuals that I interviewed could see a definite benefit for fulfilling this need. 

Testing the What:  In my interviews with the different individuals, I noticed that I had to adjust the types of questions that I used according to each person’s unique situation.  The interviews had a similar starting point, but ended up in very different places.  For example, Satish felt very strongly about conserving water, and objects to water usage that is not necessary.  He is in favor of an accessible method of water storage.  Meanwhile, Dustin and Corley are more focused on the wide variety of uses for an external reservoir of water.  They live on the riverbank, and to them water is abundant and they seldom feel concerned about striving to conserve water. 

Testing the Why:  I found that each person that I interviewed perceived their need in a very unique and diverse way.  Will was concerned with landscaping, and felt that making his property aesthetically pleasing was a priority.  Meanwhile, Emily has a daughter and while she would like to maintain her lawn, she is more interested in creating a wading pool experience for her daughter.  I was fascinated by Satish, who used a word to describe water which took me aback.  He believes that first and foremost, the relationship that we have with water should be based on respect, above all.  He talked about water as a priceless commodity that some take for granted and many spend several hours just trying to obtain.  He is concerned when he sees someone running the tap unnecessarily.  His water usage is minimal at best and he prefers it this way.  He does his best to leave as little of a footprint as possible.  Just after the interview with Satish, I spoke to Dustin and Corley, who described the wide variety of water usage including washing their dogs, washing their cars, and pressure washing their home.  They considered the time spent doing these activities to be enjoyable and liked the quality time spent with their families doing so.

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely a large opportunity that needs to be figured out soon because whether you look to LDC's, or even our own country and the water shortages in California or the water crisis in Flint. I believe that we both need to find a way to conserve water, as well as, maintain its purity and keep it safe to drink or use around the house. The state of Florida just signed into law a bill that loosened the water policy in favor of big business so we currently sit at a time that could be pivotal into Florida's water future.

    http://chriscooksey7.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have already said previously what an excellent opportunity, there are many activists who are making provisions for this cause but they would most definitely benefit with someone like you on their team! I think that this opportunity is in the process of being fulfilled but you could easily find more ways for people to conserve water. I was a pleasure reading your post will be reading more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tatiana,

    You're hypothesis has the possibility of improving the quality of life for countless communities worldwide. I think in American society the mental categorizations we place on water helps to diminish the importance of it. The fact we view bottled water as drinking water we give it greater reverence than the tap water that flows through our sinks, hoses, sprinklers, pools and showers. We feel much more comfortable wasting non drinking water, so a lack of respect is the perfect word to describe our situation in this country in particular. All water should be viewed equally as an exhaustible resource.

    ReplyDelete