1. There is a
humming sound in my apartment that is extremely annoying. It seems to be an electrical problem but even
after an electrical inspection, the issue remains unidentified.
·
A home should be comforting and secure. It bothers me that I am stuck in a lease and
paying a great deal of money while having to endure this unavoidable nuisance.
2. My GRU electric
bill. I am a single person living in a
modest apartment and yet my electric bill last month was $145.00.
·
There is no way that I am using that much
electricity. There are an unprecedented
number of miscellaneous fees on the statement that are completely
unreasonable. I wish that the people of
Gainesville would unite and protest GRU and their utility fees and
surcharges. Before moving to Gainesville
my bill in Melbourne, Florida was less than half of this amount. This is exploitation.
3. Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Travelers must endure ridiculously long airport
lines, being patted down to the point of groping, and having items confiscated
such as candles, nail clippers and other legal personal items, all in the name
of security.
·
Passengers, customers, even concert-goers should
not be treated as potential criminals.
Security is an illusion and while this scrutiny may deter some illicit
activity, it can never guarantee safety.
In Texas people can carry a concealed weapon into a store or a
restaurant. This is not viewed as a
threat for some reason. However, if it
is an airplane then the person carrying the same weapon is now a terrorist that
can be detained indefinitely. Double
standard at its finest.
4. American Idol. This is by far the most generic, cookie
cutter, assembly line method of discovering talent.
·
I am glad that American Idol did not exist when
Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Prince or David Bowie were beginning
their careers because we would run the risk of never being exposed to their
musical genius.
5. The
proliferation of Walmart stores in every town.
·
Walmart has systematically destroyed small
businesses across America.
6. Strict and
unfair Condominium Association rules and regulations.
·
My family owns a condominium in Jacksonville,
Florida. I went home to visit my family
over Christmas break. I have an official
parking decal with no expiration date.
At some point the parking decals were updated, but I was unaware since I
live in Gainesville. On my second night
visiting home, my car was towed and impounded.
7. The overemphasized
requirement to arrive at work on time.
·
The employer’s focus should be predominately on
an employee’s job performance, work ethic, and quantity and quality of work
produced. Instead, if an employee
arrives at 8:03 instead of 8:00, they are placed on probation and then
potentially fired. Since a person
dedicates 40 hours of their life per week to meet the demands of a company, the
company should acknowledge the needs of an employee as well.
8. The unfair
system of using delegates to nominate our presidential candidates.
·
Each state has a different method of selecting
delegates that is confusing to nearly everyone and often does not reflect the
popular vote. Trump overwhelmingly won
the popular vote in Arizona but Cruz was awarded almost all of the delegates.
9. Trump
supporters. Over 10 million people have
voted for Trump.
·
I simply cannot understand how any person could
vote for an individual who has repeatedly proven himself to be ignorant on
foreign policy, immigration, the American legal system, and the US
Constitution. He has also proven himself
to be racist, misogynistic, and a pathological liar. The First Amendment of the Bill of Rights
guarantees religious freedom, yet he is interested in banning all Muslims from
entering this country. Why anyone would
support these traits and hateful philosophies is beyond me.
10. Fox News
presents the news in a biased and opinionated format that is usually factually
incorrect.
·
The news should be fact based, reliable and
informative. At Fox News, however, the
anchors use inaccurate, inflammatory statements that are geared toward
manipulating their viewers from a fear based perspective. They have taken it upon themselves to interpret
the news for us and tell us what they want us to hear. I ask, inform me don’t manipulate me.
11. Global warming
being considered a myth or a hoax.
·
Everyday there is growing quantifiable, factual
scientific evidence proving the existence of global warming. Rising sea levels alone can prove this theory
and yet our very own politicians dispute the fact based findings of our
scientific community.
12. The Patriot
Act that was signed into law by President George W. Bush, facilitates the government’s
ability to spy on civilians at their discretion without warrant or
notification.
·
Benjamin Franklin stated "Those who would give up essential
Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor
Safety."
13. People’s lack of
desire or unwillingness to organize themselves to bring about change.
·
Social media connects us all instantly and
every day it becomes more available and accessible to people as a whole. It gives us the ability to continuously unify
ourselves to protest, boycott, petition and bring attention to serious issues
that are in dire need of change. This
seems like one of the easiest, quickest and most efficient ways to literally
change the world one issue at a time.
14. Having to pay for parking
at the beach.
·
I believe that natural sanctuaries provide
wellness and well-being to the mind, body and soul of every person. These sanctuaries should be made accessible
and available to all at any time. As a
taxpayer I am already paying for parking and maintenance of these natural
preserves. It seems redundant and
excessive to be charged money to visit something that belongs to no one and was
made for all, especially when it does no harm but benefits everyone.
15. The fact that GMO
foods are not labeled.
·
We as taxpayers are financially supporting and
maintaining the FDA. As consumers we are
financially investing in the production of food and its distribution. I believe that if I pay money for an item that
I will physically consume, then I have every right to know what I am consuming
and more importantly to not be poisoned by chemicals from food producers simply
so they can cut corners to make a profit that serves themselves only. This problem continues to exist because
people will not come together as a unified group demanding full disclosure and
labeling for genetically altered foods.
16. Exams in my
opinion are an antiquated and fear-based system that sets students up for
failure.
·
Learning should be engaging, exciting,
challenging, and fulfilling. Exams are
meant to educate and test a student’s understanding of a concept. Instead, exams generate extreme stress and
fear of failure. Exams are designed to
specifically mislead and confuse students which undermine the effort invested
in studying and preparing for the exam.
This leads to a scenario in which the student may feel devastated and
demoralized by the experience. This is
the greatest adversary of education.
17. The power and
wealth held by “the one percent”.
·
Christy Walton, who is a part of the Walmart
family, has $22.5 billion dollars. I am
in favor of boundless potential and achieving extraordinary results; however I
believe that with tremendous wealth and power, there is a responsibility. Currently there is no balance or
equality. Mrs. Walton has her $22.5
billion while Walmart employees dedicate 40 hours of their week often spending
more time at work than with their families, all while struggling to make ends
meet living paycheck to paycheck.
18. Corporations have
more rights and people do.
·
According to USA Today, 27 major
profitable corporations paid no taxes last year. Corporations are protected by law and they
have rights as if they were living, breathing individuals. The difference between a corporation and an
average individual is that a corporation has millions of dollars at its
disposal to maintain a team of lobbyists that can influence the drafting of
laws, and a team of lawyers that can defend those laws leaving corporations in
an almost untouchable state. It is the
average person that should be protected by the law.
19. The militarization
of police.
·
The police are a civil force that has become
militarized to supposedly “protect” the state. With the exception of Northern
Ireland, the police of the United Kingdom do not carry firearms and are still
able to maintain peace and order while serving the people. Contrary to popular belief, guns cannot
guarantee safety or keep the peace. The
United Kingdom has found a way to successfully protect the state without the
use of guns.
20. Due to the fact
that I was employed full time to make ends meet before enrolling in college, I
am not eligible for financial aid and will not be for a year and a half.
·
While I had full-time employment to meet my
living expenses, I feel that I am being penalized for returning to college to
complete my degree. For this reason, I
am having to pay all my living expenses and tuition for 5 semesters out of my
own pocket. Moving from my home to
Gainesville would have been tax deductible if I had moved here for a job, but
because I moved here for my education, it was not tax deductible. Legislation does not encourage students to
return to school to finish their education.
This was an extremely challenging assignment but it was
also surprisingly revealing. This
assignment has caused me to alter the way I view myself. I simply did not realize how strongly and
frequently I felt or thought about issues specifically pertaining to liberties,
freedom, safety, security, and the illusion of control and ownership. I was unaware of how passionately I felt
about certain issues. One area that I
had particular difficulty with was in determining the root cause for why the
problem exists. I had the tendency to
dive deeper into what bothered me about the problem rather than address the
cause itself. I attribute this to the
fact that I, along with almost everyone else, simply do not have a voice. This is literally the first time that someone
has ever asked me what is bothersome to me and wanted to hear the answer. All of a sudden having a voice made me want
to start using it. I also had some
difficulty identifying the problems themselves.
As a society we discourage complaints and criticism and look down on
negative perspectives. It was difficult
to look at the world and ask myself what is wrong with it and what bothers me
about it. It would be interesting to go
beyond this assignment and explore each problem further.
I enjoyed reading your Bug List. I actually noticed that we both had a similar problem that bugs us, which is so cool that we can relate through blogging. Your bug #18 describing how corporations can use their money to influence legislation is similar to one of my bugs, which is that every political election actually has TWO elections - the money election and the general election. The money election comes first, during which those with influential amounts of money get to choose which nominees to pour their campaign funding into, and then once the "money has spoken", those without funding are forced to drop out of the race and only then does the general public gets to choose a candidate - only out of the candidates already chosen by the money election. Our current political system is circumventing the Republic that was intentioned by our founding fathers and y the Constitution.
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job with this post. I loved how you went into detail about the things that bugged you instead of just briefly mentioning them. Well done!
ReplyDeleteYou did an incredible job on creating a list of bugs that are very specific and meaningful. In my opinion, many of these issues such as #18 and #20 are much bigger problems in society. These issues need to resolved in today's society.
ReplyDeleteHi Tatiana! I really enjoyed reading your bug list; it was very insightful. I noticed that a lot of your bug have to do with the government and society. I completely agree with your thoughts about these issues. I really liked bug #13, about people's lack of desire or unwillingness to organize themselves to bring about change. It's ironic that we want change, but won't put in the effort to bring it about. It's nice to see that you are paying attention to these things when most of our generation has lost interest in the issues that are going to affect us in the near future.
ReplyDelete