Reflecting upon a time in my life in which I had been
exposed to entrepreneurship, I surprised myself with the experience that came
to mind. Although I am originally from Bogota, Colombia, I was raised in the
U.S. since I was a child. I have always
been immersed in American culture, however recently I have made every effort to
broaden my understanding and maintain my connection with my extended family, my
culture, and my country of origin. A
few years ago, I planned a trip to visit Colombia in which I would not only
visit my family, including relatives I had never met, but to independently
visit remote regions of the country that I had never known.
It was around the time of this trip that I had befriended
someone who was down on his luck.
Originally, he had a call center job from which he had been fired for
poor performance. Later, he found a job
in a fast food restaurant but was soon let go due to excessive absences. He lamented his unemployment and the unfair
treatment he received from his employers.
He worried that he would lose his internet over the fact that there just
weren’t any good jobs around.
Soon after, it was time for my trip to Colombia. I was thrilled to reunite with friends and
family and I was looking forward to seeing all of what this amazing country had
to offer in both its beauty and its hardship.
While on a remote trip to an impoverished region, I encountered a true
entrepreneur. He was a young boy,
approximately 11 years old, and willing to do whatever it took to improve his
situation. He got on the bus. His hair was messy and his sweater,
tattered. One could only guess the last
time he had a warm shower or a good meal.
Yet with the utmost determination, he announced to everyone on the bus,
“Excuse me all, for your enjoyment on this bus ride, I would like to sing you a
song!” He filled his lungs and belted
out a song he had probably sung a thousand times before and this would
certainly not be his last.
He sang endlessly, it seemed. When the bus approached its next stop, he
abruptly said, “If you enjoyed the song or if you have a big heart which I know
you do, please feel free to give a coin!
I also have delicious chiclets gum, and handmade bracelets and even
lovely necklaces to impress your beloved!”
In truth, the bracelets and necklaces were strings that were knotted and
braided together. He clutched a handful
of them in every color imaginable and spoke of them as though they were
authentic, artisan craftwork.
I thought of my friend back in the states and the
privileges he was afforded. He had the
opportunity to retain gainful employment in a comfortable, air-conditioned
environment which would allow him to meet his needs. Through his own actions, he made the choice
to let that go. Now here was a child who
seemingly had nothing and from this nothing, he created something of worth or
value to someone in some way. Even if all he had to offer was his voice,
then he would put his voice to use. If
all he could gather was string, then he would put string to use. Was this some sort of beggar? Absolutely not! This was an entrepreneur. This was someone who saw opportunity where
others did not. This was someone who was
resourceful and used his initiative to take risks in the hopes of becoming
prosperous in some way. Although it must
have been extraordinarily difficult for him, he was defining his moment rather
than letting his moment define him.
I believe it is observations such as this, which led me to
choose entrepreneurship as my minor. I
realized it was not enough to try to be successful in any given career but
rather to be an innovator within that field.
To be someone that would look at any problem and consider a unique and
new approach to a solution. Most importantly, I wish to leave every situation better
than how I found it. Doing this does
take a little courage and practice and I believe this course will offer just
that.

Fantastic post! I loved your story of the young entrepreneur!
ReplyDeleteI love this story. It really shows that anyone can be an entrepreneur, you just have to be open to the opportunity and seize the moment. I like how you mentioned what others may immediately see in the young boy, a beggar. But if you open your mind you see he is actually an entrepreneur.
ReplyDeleteGreat connection. I enjoyed learning about your experience, especially your comparison of the boy in Columbia to the friend in the US. I agree with you that what this boy does, at his age on a regular basis, is something amazing and something we can all learn from. Your story demonstrated a true entrepreneurial spirit, located in that boy, and that maybe the hardships do help people become such thinkers.
ReplyDelete