Sunday, July 3, 2016

My Secret Sauce

5 ways in which my human capital is truly unique:

1. Curiosity:  I am very curious about the world around me.  I continuously find myself asking deep questions that I believe help me to understand the world around me in a way that is relevant and comprehensive.  This understanding allows me to develop meaningful relationships with all things in my life.  Many insights that I have gained over time have helped me to resolve many issues for myself and even others.

2. Communication skills: I think that the primary function of every human being is to either express or receive communication.  Our five senses are precisely for communicating information about the world to ourselves.  Communication is so important that I think that every issue or conflict can be resolved with clarity and understanding which is made possible by communication.  I immerse myself in reading, writing, talking and music; all of which are forms of communication.  I have even surprised myself by actually solving a problem from time to time simply by talking about it. 

3. I believe in a win-win situation.  I try to engage in situations where all parties gain from the experience.  In other words I don’t participate in anything at the expense of someone else.  I even find it a joyful challenge to figure out ways for everyone to gain from an experience.  It’s one of the most satisfying endeavors to engage in.

4. This may sound a little odd, but something that is unique about me is my concept of forgiveness.  Initially I thought that forgiveness meant that you quietly tolerated what happened and eventually forgot about it.  For me, forgiveness means that no harm can ever really be done and that each experience, especially the painful ones, are tremendous opportunities that generate compassion.  True forgiveness means understanding that since no harm can be done, there actually is nothing to forgive.  This has brought me the greatest freedom imaginable.

5. Persistence: I don’t think I shine in any one area so when I attempt to do something, it usually is extremely difficult for me.  Looking back at those tough experiences, the one thing I find is that I don’t give up.  It may take me three times as long to complete something compared to other people, and I may be the last one at the finish line, but I do make every effort to finish in the best way possible.  

Interviews with 5 people that know me best:



Reflection on the differences:


I was taken aback by how kind, generous and compassionate these interviews were.  I think this is the first time that homework and completing an assignment actually felt really good in every way.  I saw myself as a person who has drive and perseverance and focuses on developing communication skills on various levels.  Yet in speaking to the people that know me the best, they described me as being talented, intelligent, artistic, spiritual, good with animals, and compassionate.  What was remarkable about the interviews was how emphatically they expressed qualities and skills that I did not see in myself.  I consider myself quite shy, but one family member thinks that because I’m such a people person and can express myself well, that I could become a professional speech writer.  This was just one of many revelations that occurred in the process of making these interviews.  I think that if I were to make any corrections to my original list, I would make it more aspiring and ambitious to reflect the broad spectrum of commentaries made during the interviews.  





4 comments:

  1. I am so glad this assignment was so meaningful to you! I agree whole-heartedly with you on your second point. Communication skills are vital and often the most sought after skill in the professional world. I actually believe it is impossible to not communicate with others. Because by not communicating with them you are actually communicating that message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post you have a beautiful view of the world. and I think these qualities really set you apart from other people in a truly positive way. You're view of forgiveness is inspiring to say the least. I had a lot of trouble forgiving people until I realized that forgiveness was for me and not the other people. Forgiveness is to clear my mind instead of giving the other person a break. You as well have great mindset to look at everything as a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this post! It's funny because I also feel that my communication skills and my curiosity are two parts of my 'secret sauce' as well. I love to talk, write, type, listen to music, read, etc., and being interested in/able to do those things well has allowed me to make a lot of relationships and solve problems, just like you mentioned. Additionally, I loved your point about being forgiving. That is something that so few people are able to practice efficiently, and the fact that you have found such a freedom from that is awesome. I loved your interviews, and like me, it sounds like you were really fascinated by what some of your loved ones have to say about your strengths and character. It was a really interesting assignment, and I loved it as well. You don't often get to hear things like that from close friends or family, and it makes you feel good to hear what they think! Overall, you did an awesome job conducting your interviews and comparing/contrasting your list with what you found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like you really gained a lot from this assignment and that's great to see! Both curiosity and communication and phenomenal characteristics to possess, but when it comes to always maintaining a win-win situation, problems may arise. You seem as if you are a very compassionate person, but there may be times you could screw yourself over just to maintain a win-win. Forgiveness is something that many find hard to learn because we are a very selfish country/world, so I admire you for that. Hearing perspectives from those you really care about can be extremely up-lifting. Great job on the interviews!

    ReplyDelete