1.
You.
My family is originally from Colombia. Although I was born in Bogota, Colombia, I
was raised in the United States. My
background has provided me a unique perspective of two diverse yet remarkable
cultures. I am fluent in English and
Spanish. My exposure to each culture’s
beliefs, values, and customs has shown me their various ways to communicate
ideas and to create ventures. I have a
propensity to immerse myself in any culture that I experience while
traveling. I deeply respect the
environment. I believe that our natural
resources are rare and wondrous and should be protected.
2. What are you offering to customers?
I would like to develop a business venture that improves people’s
lives and protects the environment. I am interested in developing a
tank that would be about 2 feet in diameter and 8 feet tall. I would like to install this tank on the side
of a home and attach it to the downspout drain of the gutter system.
During a rainstorm, as the water is channeled through the gutter system, it
would be filtered, then collected into a tank and stored for later use at no
additional cost to the consumer. With the addition of a pressure valve,
the homeowner could then use this pressurized water for a multitude of projects.
3.
Who are you offering it to?
Any individual, home, or business
could benefit from having an external reservoir of free pressurized water
at their disposal. Anyone with a lawn, a
pool, or a garden would find this product indispensable. There are numerous applications for this
product. For example, a farmer could use
a larger version of this tank to help with irrigation and livestock needs. Business such as car washes and auto rental
agencies use large amounts of water for maintenance and business
operations.
4.
Why do they care?
I believe that people would care
about this idea because water usage impacts people in many significant
ways. People would benefit from finding
an effective way to minimize water consumption and reduce costs. We face many challenges regarding water usage
including drought, climate change, regions that enforce water use restrictions,
and the rising cost of water utilities.
5.
What are your core competencies?
My cultural diversity, background
in theatre, and interest in writing have shown me the importance of good
communication skills. It is not just a
matter of communicating an idea, but it is about ensuring that the message is
received clearly and is understood. Marketing
is after all, communication. Rather than
simply placing my product on the shelf of a retail store, I would find unique
and various ways of relaying my product to potential customers. For example, I plan marketing to home
improvement stores and consumers directly.
I would promote to homeowners associations that already manage resources
for their community. I will offer
educational seminars at home improvement stores. I could find a way to provide financial
incentives, for example, government rebates.
I would also like to explore the development of a product line, for
example, organic, natural peppermint oil based insecticide as an additive that
could be used in combination with the pressurized water tank.
The aspect of this business
concept that seems to be weak is that there are existing water tanks on the
market. Although my idea includes a
water pressurizing design and customizable accessories, there needs to be a
plan to have this product stand out among the competition, and to be recognized
for its benefits not just to the customer but for the environment as well. I would need to find a way for potential
customers to consider the various practical uses for this product that they may
not have thought of before.
Hi Tatiana. Your idea napkin is wonderfully written and very informative. I really enjoyed learning about your background and especially like your core competency of effective communication. You have a good product idea and even better ideas on how to differentiate and market your product. Good job.
ReplyDeleteHey Tatiana I think you did a great job with writing your idea napkin. I think your idea is very interesting. This is my first week commenting on your blog so I hadn't read about your initial idea yet. I think it will be so helpful to so many people. What made you want to create something that uses natural resources and will help our environment? I really like learning about your background and having effective communication will definitely help you go far with this project.
ReplyDeleteI believe your unique cultural experiences will go a long way to helping you accomplish your vision for this concept and anything else you try. It provides you with a unique perspective for approaching certain issues. I really like your idea and how it plays off of the rain collector system. It is extremely environmentally friendly and could definitely help with the water problems around the world, especially in dry, rural areas. Great job!
ReplyDeleteVery nice idea, and definitely relevant to a lot of issues we'll all be facing moving forward. There's been a strong push towards green architecture in recent years, so it might be helpful to incorporate this with other ideas starting to take off, such as roof gardens and so forth. It would definitely make a useful contribution.
ReplyDeleteHi Tatiana - this is a great idea and one that I think will be very beneficial to its consumers and maybe even required in the future for everyone to have. I think once your idea is developed more, you'll will have something truly amazing. I have heard about similar products in the market but maybe you should focus on the easiness and cost effectiveness of the product. After all, a lot of people worry more about what something like this is going to cost. I in the other hand would totally invest in this product. Great job!
ReplyDelete