Friday, June 17, 2016

Halfway Reflection



ENT3003 is a class that will lead you through the process of developing an idea into a viable product that could provide a solution for others.  This class explores the concept of entrepreneurship and provides the opportunity to hone the skills needed to engage an idea and bring it towards fruition.  Rather than memorization or intimidating exams, this class ingeniously uses experience as its prime educational format to reach students in an impactful and compelling way.  I have suffered through grueling exams and massive term papers and although the results were positive, the details of the information retained are fleeting at best.  This new approach to teaching encourages a student to think critically and creatively, which causes the learning experience to be lasting and significant.

Moving through the class, I have received a steady stream of concise yet very comprehensive assignments that are manageable.  Each assignment takes me on a new path.  In other classes I have found myself dreading to know what’s coming next.  In this class, I am curious to see what’s around the corner, and even more curious to see where it leads.  In one assignment, we were asked to compile a Bug List, which is a list of things that bugs us.  It never occurred to me that by allowing myself to complain, I would actually be participating in a preliminary step of developing a concept.  Wherever there is a problem, irritation, or issue there always is an opportunity for a solution to improve the lives of anyone involved. 

As a UF student who lives off-campus, it’s easy to feel disconnected from other students.  Through the blogging and commenting exercises, this class encourages me to look at what other students are thinking and what motivates them.   I have come to realize that their ideas and remarks are thought provoking and even inspiring.  Dr. Pryor has structured a class that is not overwhelming or dreadful.  Instead it is task oriented and allows an open exchange of ideas and opinions.  By allowing creativity, asking relevant questions, and using critical analysis, we are all able to develop an idea that is significant, impactful, and beneficial in some way.     

Tenaciousness is a competency. 
This class is comprised of a steady stream of assignments that are concise and engaging.  In order to not become intimidated by the class, I recommend checking the website on a daily basis to keep up with updating your blog, posting comments, and assignment modifications.  Another behavior that I would recommend is allowance.  This would mean to allow you to come up with ideas without judgement, doubt, or constraint.  It is also important to get out of your own way by taking on a task without hesitation.  Although the assignments are challenging, each one on its own is doable.  

Tenaciousness is also about attitude.
A moment that I wanted to give up was when I was trying to select a venture concept.  I actually had come up with a really good idea.  I thought it was practical, innovative and above all, would help numerous people around the world.  I had already considered its design when after doing some research, I realized this idea had just been created, patent pending, and recently placed on the market.  When I discovered this, I was devastated because it was an idea I had been considering seriously for some time.  I took some comfort in knowing that the idea itself was actually good enough for someone else to think of it as well and to run with it.  This caused me to become more open to alternative concepts and to consider their potential.  I also realized that although similar ideas may coexist simultaneously, the idea is to make your concept stand out in a unique or improved way.  

Three tips.
  1. In the wise words of Nike, “Just do it.”  Regardless of whether you feel silly, awkward, nervous, or confused, just take the first step in getting the task completed.  Before you know it, it will be.
  2. Slow and steady wins the race.  Only think about the task at hand, but above all, don’t overthink it.  By doing one step at a time, you will be surprised by what you accomplish.
  3. Pay no mind to rejection.  In this class you will experience rejection whether it comes from others, or even from yourself.  There will be times where you will reject your own ideas.  This just means that there is a better idea waiting for you around the corner.




4 comments:

  1. Tatiana,

    I felt like I really learned a lot about you from this reflection. I like the photo you chose to include. Our three tips are similar, as I too, spoke about focusing on the tasks. I liked how you mentioned you live off campus but through this course feel connected. It is really awesome that we can do that. I do not live on campus either but this class seems more put together with connecting in our groups than any class I have experienced! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatiana, I agree with much of your reflection about ENT3003. Like you said in the first paragraph, this class really allows you to learn and maintain that knowledge through experience, not through grueling exams and work where you cram information and forget it quickly. It is so nice to have a class where your success depends on your willingness to just try new things and gain real-life experience.

    Additionally, I also live off campus and sometimes feel disconnected from much of the student body at UF. I know a lot of business students hardly ever go on campus, and it can be challenging to interact and get to know your peers/receive feedback. The way this class is set up allows for interaction no matter where you are, and I love the ability for responses and exchange between classmates, whether it is just praise or constructive criticism--anything helps.

    Overall, you had a very helpful and detailed reflection. The tips that you suggested are spot on and will serve as a great help to students who take this course in the future. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tetiana

    I am glad to see that you have gotten so much from this class and seem to have a firm grasp on what this class is all about. I am also an off-campus student and I agree that it is easy to feel disconnected from other students. However, though the blog posts and commenting I have also felt more connected to my fellow students than I have in any other online class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatiana, I think that you described the course exactly how it is and this is a great summary of what the course is. I think that anyone reading this who is a prospective student of ENT3003 can know for sure what this course is all about. Also, I think that your tips are very useful, heading into this course I would have liked to have read some guidelines about how this course was going to play out throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete