ENT 3003 has been such a rewarding experience for me because it is one of the few classes that have allowed me to learn intensively about entrepreneurship and to learn about myself. I am so grateful for the freedom that we have been given in completing our writing assignments. Usually in other classes we are given a broad topic and are expected to submit a perfect paper in return. In this class, however, we were given specific questions to address that were thought provoking and introspective. This provided guidance throughout the assignments which managed to provide a sense of accomplishment in each step of the process. Although the guidance we received was fundamental for completing the assignments, we still had the freedom to express our ideas in various styles and formats, which allowed for the development of creativity.
By
far the most formative experience for me in this class has been the improvement
in my writing technique. I have
discovered that communication is critical for success in almost every aspect of
our lives, ranging from personal to professional. I never imagined that I would learn about
writing in Entrepreneurship. My most
joyous experience has been reading other people’s feedback. It was quite evident that people made a
concerted effort to offer comments that were constructive and inspiring. I actually felt connected to other members of
this class and felt we were in this process together.
One
of the things that I am most proud of was my interview with Satish. I have
watched countless interviews and thought the process was obvious. The actual process was much different than I had
expected. It involved me lurking around
Barnes and Noble and approaching people desperately seeking an interview. To my dismay I was turned down several
times. Just when I was about to give up,
I approached a gentleman by the name of Satish who happened to be the one
person in the bookstore who would allow me this opportunity. I was nervous and the notes I made to
structure the interview proved to be useless.
I decided instead to simply listen and to respond to what was being said. I suppose this is the first lesson in how to communicate
effectively and productively. His
comments were thorough and innovative, and provided me with new ideas for the
funding and distribution of my product.
It really was a turning point for me, in that I could actually see the
potential in my idea. The interview was difficult
to say the least, but it turned out to be a great experience.
It
has always been my philosophy to leave a situation better than I found it. I have noticed that most people complain when
they encounter a problem and then decide to distance themselves from it. For them, the problem is solved because the
tension is eliminated. This class
challenges us to seek out those problems and to see them not as an obstacle,
but rather as an opportunity to improve lives.
The Bug List assignment was actually cathartic for me. First of all, I appreciated being asked what
I thought about the world around me and, more specifically, what I don’t
like. Typically I go out of my way to
only think positive thoughts, but this assignment asked for the exact
opposite. At first I resisted, then I
started to truly delve into what bugged me and why. In the end I felt better and learned more
about myself. Then I thought, now
what? To my surprise, Dr. Pryor showed
us that in every one of those issues lies an opportunity just sitting there,
waiting to be solved. At this point
before I voice a complaint, my mind is already considering if there is a
potential solution hidden in plain sight.
I would say that I have moved closer to developing an entrepreneurial
mindset. There is a subtle yet powerful
change that takes place when problems become opportunities.
The
main recommendation I would make to future students is to take a chance without
hesitation. Regardless of whether you
feel awkward, nervous, or confused, just take the first step in getting each
task completed. To perform best in the
course, you should focus on the task at hand, but don’t over analyze it. By doing one step at a time, you will be
surprised at what you can accomplish. Above
all do not be concerned about rejection.
Rejection is something to be accepted and even embraced. This simply means that there is a better idea
waiting for you just around the corner.
After all, failure is a stepping stone to success.
No comments:
Post a Comment